Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I am a MOOCH!

So it is official....I am a mooch! I've always known I had some in me. Dropping by my mom's for some bottled peaches and jam every once in a while, not having any food in our house so we stop by the parents to grab something to eat. Those are little things, right? But yesterday I had a light bulb moment, it was much worse than I thought. My sister Melissa and I were talking about my brother Kenny's birthday celebration and we got so excited because it's a free dinner at the Mandarin. I am fully admitting that I look months in advance for the next occasion that my family will be going out to eat and schedule it in, making sure I don't miss it. Maybe it's because we are so poor right now that we don't get to eat out much. It was so sad to see how giddy Melissa and I were about it being Kenny's birthday so We could eat out. Notice something wrong with that.....we aren't thinking about Kenny we are thinking about ourselves. It gets worse too because when we realized it was Anna's graduation on Friday we got even more excited. TWO free dinners in one week! (Which also means two nights I don't have to cook.) Are we going to Anna's graduation.....of course not, but you can bet we will be there for the dinner after.

Is the fact that I now realize I am a mooch going to change anything? Probably not. I guess that free dinner really makes up for any shame I feel about it. So to my parents I say sorry that I am a mooch, but I am what I am. And tonight I will savor every bite of the most delicious Chinese food and on Friday I will do the same!

Happy Birthday Kenny! And Congratulations Anna! Thank you for providing me with TWO FREE DINNERS!!! Next week Valek's Birthday. Don't let me down bud.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Hey, I have been there...and find myself there frequently! I just got back from shopping with my Mom...now I have new clothes to wear that I never would have bought myself! The good news is that neither of us will be in this situation forever. I guess it comes with the territory of supporting our husbands through school and trying to make ends meet! I'll send you an email nex week and see what you guys are up to...I'd love to see you!

Poelmans said...

Ha! I like that Shanz, speaking of the Mandarin, we went there last night w/ my family, and I'm still full. YUM!